The Art of Locking In: Why Some People Get Everything They Want (And Most Don't)

 


Sit with me for a second. I want you to think about the last time you truly locked in on something. Not the half-hearted attempt where you checked your phone every ten minutes. I mean the real thing, where the world went quiet and you moved like nothing could touch you. If you can't remember the last time that happened, you're not alone, and that's exactly why we're having this conversation.


I've coached enough people to know that talent is never the bottleneck. I've watched gifted, capable people go nowhere for years, and I've watched average people with zero natural advantage outwork and outlast everyone around them simply because they knew how to lock in. So let's get one thing straight before we go further: locking in isn't a personality trait you're born with. It's a skill, and like every skill, it can be trained.

Here's what locking in actually means, in plain language. It's the moment you stop dabbling and start committing with your whole chest. You're not "trying" to get in shape anymore, you've decided you're an athlete. You're not "hoping" to build a business... you've decided you're a founder. That shift from trying to being changes the way your brain allocates energy, and it's the real reason some people train at five in the morning while everyone else is negotiating with their alarm clock. They're not fighting themselves. They already decided who they are.
 

Now, I know some of you are going to bring up flow state, and yes, psychologists like Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi have written about that zone where skill meets challenge and time disappears. But here's what most people miss: flow doesn't happen by accident. Locking in is the decision you make before flow even shows up. It's the ignition switch, not the engine.

Let's talk about how you actually build this, because I'm not interested in giving you a pep talk without a plan. First, get ruthlessly specific about what you're locking in on. "Get better at guitar" will never pull you out of bed. "Play the intro of my favorite song clean, in front of my friends, in thirty days" will. Vague goals produce vague effort, every single time. I've never once seen a student stay locked in on a fuzzy target.

Second, build an environment that does some of the work for you. Willpower is overrated and unreliable, your surroundings are not. Clear the clutter off your desk. Block the apps that hijack your attention. Play the same song before every session if that's what signals to your brain that it's time to go. I know it sounds small. It isn't. Champions build rituals precisely because rituals remove decisions, and every decision you don't have to make is energy you get to spend on the work itself.
 

Third, expect the discomfort, and don't bail when it shows up. Locking in feels boring or hard in the first ten minutes, almost every time. That's not a sign you're doing it wrong. That's the exact point where most people quit and where the ones who make it keep going. Sit in it a little longer than feels comfortable, and you'll notice your tolerance for that discomfort grows every single week.

Fourth, protect your time like it belongs to someone you respect, because it does. Ninety-minute blocks of deep, undistracted work aren't a luxury, they're an appointment with the person you're trying to become. Don't let anyone move that appointment, including you.

I think about Kobe Bryant a lot when I talk about this, not because his talent was rare, plenty of guys in that era had talent, but because his obsession with detail was rare. Every rep, every angle, every mental adjustment got his full attention. I think about writers who show up to the page daily whether or not inspiration decides to cooperate, because they understand something most beginners don't: discipline creates inspiration, not the other way around.


When motivation drops, and it will...don't wait for it to come back on its own. Go back to the identity you decided on. Remind yourself who you already are. That's not a trick, it's a recalibration, and it works far better than trying to talk yourself into caring again.
Here's my challenge for you. Pick one thing you've been circling instead of committing to. One thing you've talked about for months without moving. Lock in on it for the next two weeks, protect the time you give it, and don't negotiate with yourself when it gets uncomfortable. You already have what it takes. You just haven't decided to use it yet.
What are you locking in on today? Tell me in the comments...I will  read every one.

Your motivated coach Sam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brawl Stars Talk: Kenji and Kaze Finally Had Their Baby.....and the Internet Wasn't Ready

The 2026 Iran-Israel War: How a Regional Clash Reshaped Global Energy and Trade

Work Hard in Silence: While Your Success Should Do the Talking